There are many reasons why you might need to refelt your pool table rails. Maybe the felt is old and worn, or maybe you just want to change the color. Whatever the reason, it’s not a difficult task. This article will teach you how to refelt pool table rails.
Things You Need To Refelt Pool Table Rails
There are a few things that are needed to refelt pool table rails:
-A rail felt kit
-Paint or wood primer
-Ruler or a straight edge
-Needle nose pliers
– Sandpaper (100 grit)
– Safety goggles
How To Refelt Pool Table Rails
1. Begin by removing the rails from the table. Most rails are attached to the table with screws. IFor any paint or finish on the rails, they will need to be removed. Use a wire brush or sandpaper to remove any paint or finish.
2. Once the rails are clean, it is time to measure them. Use a tape measure to find the length and width of the rails.
3. The kit that is purchased will come with instructions on how to cut the new felt. Follow these instructions, using a ruler or straight edge as needed.
4. Cut out the new felt using a Xacto knife. Be careful not to cut yourself.
5. Staple the new felt in place, using a staple gun. See to it that it is attached tightly against the rail.
6. Using plyers, bend the staples so that they are flush with the surface of the rail.
7. Use a wire brush to remove any excess felt.
8. Prime the rails with paint or wood primer. This will help the paint to adhere better.
9. Paint the rails with a coat of paint. Be sure to use a brush that will allow for even coverage.
10. Let the paint dry completely before reassembling the rail.
11. Reattach the rail to the table using screws. Make sure that they are tight against the rail.
12. For any excess felt around the screws, cut it off using scissors or a knife.
13. Use sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges on the new felt. Wear safety goggles while doing this step
15. Once the rails are finished, they can be used on the pool table. Enjoy!
When Should You Refelt Pool Table Rails?
As pool tables age, the felt can become worn, ripped, or stained. When this happens, it’s time to replace the old felt with new. But how do you know when it’s time to refelt your pool table rails?
Here are a few signs that it might be time to give your pool table a facelift:
- The felt is coming loose: If you notice that the felt on your pool table is starting to peel away from the rails, it’s time to replace it. Not only does this make the table look unsightly, but it can also affect your gameplay.
- The felt is ripped or torn: Rips and tears in the pool table felt can create sharp edges that can snag your clothing or skin. If you notice any rips or tears in the felt, it’s time to replace it.
- The felt is stained: If the felt on your pool table is stained, it can be difficult to play correctly. Not only does this make the table look bad, but it can also affect your gameplay. If the felt is stained, it’s time to replace it.
If you’re experiencing any of these problems with your pool table rails, it’s time to consider replacing the felt. You can either do it yourself or hire a professional to do it for you. Whichever route you choose, just make sure that you replace the old felt with new as soon as possible to improve the look and performance of your pool table.
Benefits Of Refelting Pool Table Rails
Refelting pool table rails has many benefits that make it well worth the effort, whether you’re a professional player or a casual enthusiast. Here is a list of the benefits of refelting pool table rails:
1. Increased playability: Refelting pool table rails can significantly improve the playability of your pool table. The felt helps to provide a consistent and level surface for the balls to roll on, resulting in more predictable and accurate shots.
2. Enhanced durability: Pool tables are expensive investments, so it’s important to do everything you can to protect them. Refelting pool table rails can extend the life of your table by protecting the wood from warping and damage caused by moisture.
3. Improved appearance: old and worn-out pool table felt can make your entire table look shabby and uninviting. Replacing the felt with fresh, new fabric will give your table an instant face-lift and make it look new again.
4. Increased value: if you ever decide to sell your pool table, a fresh coat of refelting can add more value to the table and make it more attractive to potential buyers.
5. Easier maintenance: unlike the wood rails, the felt can be easily cleaned and maintained with a simple damp cloth. This means that you won’t have to spend hours every week trying to clean dirt and dust off the rails.
6. Increased accuracy: as mentioned before, the consistent surface provided by the felt can help improve your accuracy when taking shots. This can be especially helpful during competitive games against friends or family members.
7. Improved gameplay: playing on a pool table with fresh felt is a much more enjoyable experience than playing on one with old, worn-out felt. The improved gameplay can make your pool table sessions even more fun and exciting.
8. Increased satisfaction: everyone loves to see their pool table looking good and performing well. A fresh coat of refelting can give you the satisfaction of knowing that you’ve taken good care of your investment and that it’s going to last for many years to come.
In conclusion, refelting your pool table rails is a great way to improve the overall look and feel of your table. Not only will it make the table look new again, but it can also help to improve the gameplay. If you are considering refelting your pool table rails, be sure to do your research and find a qualified professional to do the job. By following these tips, you can be sure that your table will look and play like new. Thanks for reading!